Monday, November 29, 2010

Fiesta Online Review

Photobucket

More and more we begin to see the works of dedicated people come online for the world for free. Same so in the gaming industry where full free to play games are released almost every day. Very popular among these types of games are the RPG games, of where there are many of the MMO variety. Fiesta Online is one of these MMORPGs. Question is, is it good enough to make the cut?

Fiesta Online
A First Impressions review

In 2007, Ons Ori Soft of Korea released the Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game known as Fiesta Online. The game is hosted by Outspark for the North American English market and by gamigo for Europe.
Like with every free to play RPG, you only get the basic game experience if you play it just for free. By transferring money on to your account, you can purchase many more items that you can use in-game to fluff up your experience.

Having been playing this game for a short amount of time, I only managed to reach level 22 so far. To give a full review of the game would require countless more hours of gameplay and by that time, it could be mid 2011, truth be told. So, keeping that mind, I’m here now trying to write this review as a first impressions blog alongside a review of the works.

My first attempt started by making a female archer named Adriyana. I did so because in World of Warcraft, my very first character was a female Night Elf named as such. Keeping up with traditions, ya know. Unfortunately, I seemed to have grown out of the MMO mentality as I kept making mistake after mistake. Even though it has been many o’ months since I have last played World of Warcraft, my mind was still more than set to this game. By the time that I reached level 16 with this character, I was all ready to quit and uninstall the game.
However, I did manage to look within and see that I was the one who was being an idiot. I wasn’t playing right and I kept making stupid mistakes.

A new challenger appears! I made a new character. This time a male fighter named … euh … what do you mean, the name is taken? Well then how a … taken as well, huh. Hmm, what about … no? And … what, aw come on! Fine. A female fighter named … what? TAKEN AS WELL? Fine, I didn’t want to use the name but I guess I’ll go with Greyarch. It’s never taken anyways. You know, maybe I’ll make the name fit my character better. And so, RoseArch was born.

Taking it one step at a time, I managed to keep everything in order. Leveling up my stats, my inventories, my storage unit and the quests. Having a pretty good view over everything, things become a lot more simple. What I skipped on with Adriyana, I did now as I joined a Guild Academy. Basically this is a guild for rookies set up by actual guilds. These academies hand out rewards to those leveling up. Unfortunately, things can get really strict in these academies as you can get kicked very easily for not being active. I.E. logging off once in a while or even going to bed. How dare people, amirite?
Now that I had everything under control, the game became a lot more fun to play. I even went to do a Kingdom Quest, which is basically a timed instance where you have to fight through hordes of enemies and kill a boss. Only instead of traveling to a location, you get transported there once you signed up to it via a menu.

There is little to no overall storyline to be found for the game. Disappointing at first but it is fun to see that the quests do sometimes move a plot forward like doing a quest line only to then report to another character in a new city. So you get over the overall story pretty quickly when you realize that the personal involvement with NPC’s is relatively the same as with bigger MMO’s.

The graphics of the game are simple, but fun to look at because of its Anime inspired nature. What really drew me in was the fact that it had actual colors, instead of the usual darker colors or more advanced colors of a more realistic graphical field. Complementing the graphics is the adequate sound that does a good job of being diverse. There are plenty of sounds. Though when the song stops because it’s over and the loop needs to continue from the start, every sound seems to be cut off for a moment.

This game is a fantasy RPG through and through when it comes to characters and gameplay. There are four classes in Fiesta which include a Fighter, an Archer, a Mage and a Cleric. Each of these base classes can be upgraded via promotional quests as found in the game. A fighter for example promoted to a CleverFighter and an Archer to a HawkArcher. As with every RPG class out there, these ones can also be utilized in many ways going from Damage Per Second to tanks to healers.
Each character also skills in which they can dig deeper. There’s Active Skills that are used during combat, Passive Skills that buff your character’s stats and Alchemy skills where you can use a trade like Potion making. You buy new skills, upgrade these skills and put these skills to use via a menu or the action bar.
To me all of this feels like a simplified version of World of Warcraft, which isn’t a bad thing per se. I mean, we live in a world where almost every MMORPG is trying to rip it off.
The more you do in the game, the more it’s likely to get an “achievement”. Although it’s a lot cooler actually because every achievement is actually a title that you can put in front of your character’s name like Sir Sean Connery. Only a lot less dignified.

Unlike WoW there isn’t an auction where you can put up all of your stuff, meaning that you have to set up shop to sell all your valuables. Meaning that you’ll more than likely be spending most of your time in the big cities trudging through a bazillion mushrooms. Yes, your character can retreat in to a mushroom house in which he or she is restored Health and Special. And another option for these magic mushrooms is indeed a shop. Now, besides this there are only two other ways to make moolah. One is, because enemies do not drop money as loot, selling the loot. Another is to do quests and join a Guild Academy where you are handed money for every successful level up.

And what’s an MMO without PvP. There may not be rivaling factions in this game, but there are Player versus Player areas in which you can show your massive E-Peen to smite down those insignificant bugs that wish to be as awesome as you. Yes, you.
Problem is that everyone in a PvP zone is insanely high leveled. Which, by the way, is capped at 100+ in this game. I mean, just as an FYI you know.

Lastly, there’s two more things that separate this MMO from many others. These two are estates which you can set up that you can also decorate. Whilst the other one is In-Game Weddings. I’ve only seen the global announcement about the latter but it’s still a pretty awesome feature.

7/10

Download it

Fiesta Online is a free MMORPG with a few interesting features that set it apart. It’s enjoyable to play but doesn’t offer much in the storyline department other than personal interaction with NPC’s. Still, why look a free horse in the mouth?

This was PJ with a review for Fiesta Online.

No comments:

Post a Comment