Wednesday, May 26, 2010

GUN review

In preperation for my Red Dead Redemption review, I'd like to present to you my review of the second best western game ever made. This being GUN. This review was first released on October 25th of 2007.


Welcome to the review of the Neversoft game GUN.

First of all, let me kick off with saying that whoever felt addressed to when reading Dumbasses ... Well let's just say that aint a good thing.
So let's start reviewing one of the better western games out there. GUN let's you start the game with an exellent cutscene starring one of the best actors in the world, Kris Kristofferson. Now if any of you unculturalised twats are scratching their heads over that name, Kris plays Whistler in the Blade movies. He voices the character Ned White, father to your character Colton White. Ned shows you the ropes as he commands you to shoot some friggin birds and some elk that don't seem to realise they have just been shot in the ass. ANYHOO, after you have been thought the ways of an honorable warrior, you are attacked by a grizly looking bear and you are left in charge of resquing the old man. So after putting a couple of bullets in the bear, you have filled up a bar in your HUD. So after pressing the right button, you enter Quickdraw mode. Or as I like to call it: Baywatch view ... since you see everything in slowmotion ... You also go to first person view and autmatically switch to your pistols. So that's the main gist of the game. You shoot people. Other guns involve: The Sniper, the shotgun and the bow and arrow. Which you upgrade during the course of the game. Throwing shit can occur with a tasting bottle of Molotov and a few sticks of dynamite. To aid you further in your onslaught, you have a melee weapon at your side too.
So let's skip the spoilers and move on ahead to when Colton awakens on the shores. That is when you are introduced to one of the best aspects of the game and the best realisation of this in any game. Horsebackriding. I kid you not. Now, horses look awfull in the distance as if you returned to the past with the Delorian, but nearby the horses look beautifull. The gameplay and the controls are smooth and you wished all means of transport in any game was used so easily.
Fastforwarding to Dodge City. You can walk about GTA style and kill everyone in sight. Sure, people will run away. But the idiots that just spawned don't have a single clue what's going on so you have easy killings there. And the good thing is, they are just innocents. So first I go and buy stuff ... I spy with my little eye ... A friggin scalping knife. My sadism sence was tingling! A scalping knife? So I ofcourse bought it ... I shot some poor twit in the knees and walked up to him. And there it was. Like the bible was there for Ned Flanders. A popup saying: Triangle: Scalp. I pressed that button so hard that the circle of the button is still visible in my finger. And there I went ... I scalped ... What a great feeling it was! Colton grabbed the innocent and removed his scalp, combined with the painfull cries of the one you were scalping.

Afterwards I found myself standing in front of a wanted poster. As usual it was plain and simple. Poster A is about asshole B that needs to be put in either Graveyard C or Jail D. Easypiecy aint it. So I took horse E and drove to the little twit ... who was inside the bar right acros from where I was standing. I'm Lazy I know. Long story short, the guy died by my scalping knife. Other sidemissions include Deputy missions, which are wanted poster mission only with fifty times the amount of baddies to shoot. Pony Express missions which only need you to ride as if your horse had a rocket up its arse and Ranching missions which involve you to hurdle some cows. THe game only has one minigame which is to play poker.

And that's it. That's the game. Aside from the awfully short storyline missions that are over before you know it.
The best parts of the game are: the fact that the cutscenes are practically always with blood and gore ((Seriously ...)) and that the storyline is worthy of an oscar nomination.

My final score: 8/10

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment